Saturday, May 3, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Two observations on my birthday, which was April 23rd.

First was at 6:30 am. I was getting ready for work, and found a pimple on my chin. As I was squeezing it, it dawned on me that I had been doing this for about 35 years. Wow!

Then I got to school... a couple of the kids remembered my birthday even as I was opening the door to let them in. (It was added to the birthday chart back in January on their insistance.) They were gathered on the rug waiting to get their "jobs" for the morning and "Lorenzo" asked, "How old are you anyway?" My first answer was well Buddy, a lot older than you." But he was not to be detered..."No, really, how old are you?" So, I think for a second (That's all the time they give you :) in a K classroom.) and decide I'm going to "own" this so I answered.
"Well, "Lorenzo" today I turned 46." He looked at me and said, "Jesus, you're older than my Granny!" Oh happy thought, I've seen his granny and I look younger than that I can tell you.
I said, "Well Buddy, I'm suprised, too, but we don't say "Jesus" like that at school no matter how surprised we are."

1 comment:

Keithslady said...

Happy Birthday Lynn! I actually thought about you on your day. It was mid afternoon and I blurted out, "It's Lynn's birthday!" Ellen was there and asked, "Bamrick?" See, we remember you. Funny how the kids remember the name, though. I'm pleased to be the first to comment, since I helped inspire in the first place. No, I don't feel so much different either. My husband says I don't act different. You'll have to ask one of the kids about our kiss at the reception. My new daughter in law, Nicole, laughed for about 5 minutes. I guess the kids do see us as old...