Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Well, it's been over for 15 minutes, and I can still say that Mother's Day is one of my favorite holidays. I've been an honored mom for 13 years now but I think it's been my favorite for longer than that!

My day started when Claire (10 on Wednesday) and Tommy (7) woke up Abby (12), to help them make me breakfast in bed. There was no complaining that it was too early, or that somebody was doing too much, or not enough work. They brought me my breakfast, my favorite raisin toast with butter and a Diet Coke... and my gifts.

A poem and patterned key chain from Tommy, to go with my tear jerker poem received from Claire at Muffins for Mom on Thursday afternoon (a half day from Kindergarten well spent!) and a lovely,funny as she is , card from Abby who is in Middle School and does not have teachers who orchestrate gifts any more. A sweet card from Tim (who likes to celebrate Mother's day much more than my B-Day) and then I was sent out to the front porch to get the paper (my job on Mother's Day???) because the show stopper was a table and chairs for the porch. This made me so happy because they were listening to me! The little porch table I had did not fare the winter well, and the chair was MIA.

Then off to church together and then a lazy afternoon recovering from all the lawn work (7 hours time the 5 of us) that we did yesterday before the rain.

At 4pm we headed to my sister's house for the "family gathering" My cousin Matt who is newly married goes by the nickname GMG (Grill Master General) ,he coordinated a fajita feast for about 40. My sisters and their husbands and kids, my parents, three aunts and four uncles and 6 cousins. Moms did no work, but we did laugh at the emails and add occasionally as the cousins, uncles and brother in laws signed up for menu items and quipped as they did so.

Grandma D. our matriarch, was missed, our second year/third Mother's Day with out her but her spirit lived on today. She did good work with this family who remain so close when so many families are not. The Traditional Mother's Golf portion of the day's activites was rained out, but my mom and her sisters went to a movie instead and the beat goes on!

1 comment:

Keithslady said...

I love how your extended family remains so close. That's great, and so good for the kids. I wish more adults could put their petty differences aside and keep their eye on the big picture! Keep it up.