Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mowing for Dollars

We offered the girls (Abby 12 and Claire 10) the chance to mow the lawn for us (for $) since it is a job we've hired out for several years. We haven't been "an allowance" family but this is a big job and requires consistancy and committment.

We worked together as a family on the first week, cleaned up the winter mess and taught them how to use the lawn mower and weed whip. Last Satuday as they were getting ready to get out there, it started to rain. We put the lawn out of our minds and off our schedule but at 7:30 Abby asked if I thought the lawn was dry enough for them to get their job done then. We checked and out they went.

They worked together so well. (Not typical) Helped and encouraged each other (not typical), asked for advice and tips ( really not typical) and got the job done, dividing the labor fairly and according to skills, strength and preferences. They did a great job.

I had a real moment of "mama pride" as I watched them finish up with seconds to spare before it was too dark to see. Sometimes I think I'm spinning my wheels so fast I don't do anything as well as I could. But Saturday night I felt like they were at least taking in some of the things I try to get across.

Now we need to work on their little brother.

1 comment:

Keithslady said...

Congratulations! Isn't it just exilerating to see the "not typical" in action? It makes the decade of effort so worth it. Nothing compares to a mother's "job well done" satisfaction!!